Please Wait....
Close

    This government will no longer tolerate killings, kidnappings - Buhari vows


    - Nigeria's president, Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated his administration's resolve to clamp down on killings and kidnappings in the country

    - He said his administration would no longer tolerate killings and kidnappings for ransom

    - President Buhari said insecurity in different parts of the country has affected the nation's development

    President Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday, January 30, vowed that his administration would no longer tolerate acts of killings and kidnapping for ransom by armed gangs in the country.

    READ ALSO: Soldiers raid militia spiritual leader's shrine, arrest chief priest

    The president further expressed worry that the recent upsurge in insecurity in different parts of the country has affected the nation’s development, adding that his administration would not fail to bring the perpetrators to justice, Vanguard reports.

    NAIJ.com gathered that the president’s warning came on a day unknown gunmen, suspected to be herdsmen, attacked and killed an official of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) while his group was busy working on the petroleum pipeline at Tse Torkula, a border community in Guma local government area, between Nasarawa and Benue states.

    The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday, January 30, also described herdsmem/farmers clashes, Niger Delta militants activities and kidnapping for ransom by armed gangs a threat to peace in Nigeria.

    President Buhari who was represented by the minister of interior, Lt General Abduraham Dambazau, spoke in Port Harcourt while declaring open the 9th General Assembly of National Council of Traditional Rulers of Nigeria (NCTRN) with the theme ‘Community policing as a catalyst to crime prevention - The role of traditional rulers.’

    He said: “I am very worried and saddened about the persistent killings and kidnappings happening in our country, especially the wastage of innocent lives in different parts of the country by whatever means it is done, particularly in Benue state.

    "I have, therefore, directed that no effort should be spared in identifying and bringing to justice all those that are carrying out the acts. I have also directed the chief of army staff to relocate to the northeast to ensure that the activities of Boko Haram are stopped.”

    PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

    Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the New Year killings that took place in Omoku, Rivers state and in Sango local government area of Kaduna state.

    Buhari in a statement on Tuesday, January 2, stated that such violence was unacceptable. He assured Nigerians that security agencies were working to speedily bring those behind the killings to justice.

    Victims of Herdsmen killing buried in Benue state - on NAIJ.com TV

    Source: Naija.ng

    Story Page