The Nairobi Innovation Week has partnered with the African Development Bank to run a joint startup challenge that will focus on the Bank’s High 5 priorities.
The competition is dubbed High 5s Startup Challenge. The 5 thematic areas of focus are;
- Light up and power Africa
- Feed Africa
- Integrate Africa
- Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Any startup from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Ethiopia is eligible to apply. The startup should however focus on at least one of the 5 thematic areas of the banks five priorities. Startups with an inclination towards energy production and distribution are encouraged to apply since they focus on the High 5s. Startups in sustainable food production and agri-business fall under Feed Africa pillar with others in industrialization and mobility of people falling under Industrialize and Integrate Africa respectively. Lastly, startups that empower the community will fall under the Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa pillar.
The top 5 startups will be awarded with a cash prize of upto USD 1000. In addition;
- Travel costs to attend the NIW 2018 (a round trip economy class ticket) and accommodation if coming from outside Kenya will be catered for.
- A placard in recognition of the innovation will be awarded.
- Opportunity to exhibit the innovation at the NIW2018 at the exhibition booths.
- Opportunity to meet and interact with the Director General AfDB, East Africa Regional Development and business-orientedness Delivery Office.
To learn more visit http://afdb.niw.co.ke/